Sunday, August 3, 2014

The guy I met at the mall.

We were at the children's play-area in the mall yesterday, and I got talking with the gentleman next to me. I love how you can always find something in common with people -- in this case, we were chatting about our sons. That led to us talking about where we're both from - he was from NYC [automatic interest for me!], and I told him I'm from Salt Lake... then we started agreeing on several thoughts we had about Miami [the goods & the bads].

He then said, "I'm going to say something that's going to shock you."

What?! Cool, okay, let's hear it!

He says, "I'm a Physician - a Cardiologist."

I was all, "Wow!" -- pretty cool that you can pass or sit by so many people and not know who they are or what they do -- or know anything about them, really.

He continued, "I'm a Heart Surgeon, but I'm also a patient -- I'm waiting for a heart transplant."

WHAT??! I was like, "Oh my gosh, wow!"

Then he keeps talking, "I'm going to shock you again." Again?! Alright, this guy's got my COMPLETE ATTENTION [good thing Nick was there to watch Jaden ;)].

He says, "I'm carrying my 'heart' right here." and taps on a medium-sized black bag next to him. I shook my head, giving a heavy blink, then opened my eyes wide - eyebrows raised above my head - and said, "WHAT!?!?!?!? OH MY GOSH, ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?! THAT'S CRAZY!" [crazy in a cool way ;)]

He laughed and said, "Bet you didn't notice that I have a wire going under my shirt." Sure enough, I look and see a wire going from the black bag leading to the bottom of his shirt, then disappearing under it.

He says, "Because of my profession, I was able to be a candidate for this new procedure they're trying [developed by NASA]... so I'm one of sixty people in the world walking around without a heart."

He went on to say that he was healthy as can be, that one of the perks of it was that he never got tired -- he felt like he was running full-speed, but without breathing heavily... and he was being monitored all the time, so if he were to get up and do some jumping jacks, someone at the hospital would call and see if he's okay. He'd been carrying it around for a year -- still just waiting for a heart transplant. He was so happy and hopeful, saying, "It's better than just laying in a bed! I still get to go out and live life!"


...wow. WOW! Consider me shocked!!! I didn't even know that was possible!!!! It was so cool to meet him! Made me miss meeting all sorts of randoms when I used to work [outside the home] full-time. I also just love that we could've both just been sitting there in silence - and nobody [including myself] would've thought twice about it. Instead, we engaged in conversation and I learned the craziest, coolest thing ever about this man! I was sitting next to a guy who was carrying his heart in a bag next to him. WHAT!? Such a mind-blowing moment. Wow. Ah! I love meeting people and hearing about their stories. Definitely one of my favorite things!!

2 comments:

Kelli Brough said...

i love you.

technology is amazing! what a cool story.

The Kims said...

My mind is seriously blown.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...